Thursday, April 17, 2008

Knitting News



I have knitted my very first scrumptious cupcake. Isn't it sweet? I used Plymouth Jeannee for the cake and Bernat cottontots for the icing. The cherry is the Jeannee that I used for the cake. I used size 4 double point needles. Woolwinder has been baking I mean knitting these yummy treats. Go check out her blog. Lots of inspiration over there! The pattern is from Eva McDonald. Now, come in a little closer because I need a little help......



As you can tell from this picture, I have very noticeable ladders. Did I over stuff the cake? I'm not sure why it looks like this? I was trying to keep my stitches tight. I was having a little bit of a problem with my fingers working the decreases so tight. The needles really seemed to stress out my fingers and hands. I am using bamboo double points. The yarn really dragged big time on the needles. Anyone else have that problem? As a fairly new knitter I thought the bamboo needles would work the best for me. Now I'm not sure about that. Maybe switch to plastic? I read that the Yarn Harlot likes Pony Pearl needles. I have read that Knitpicks Harmony needles are nice too. What are your favorite double pointed needles?




My purse is almost finished. It's off the needles and all sewn together. For the lining I cheated and bought a small pink tote bag to place inside. All I had to do was cut off the handles. It fits perfectly! I purchased these bamboo handles. I didn't realize that you have to purchase your own hardware to attach the handles. Hmmmm. I need to make another trip to Michael's. It turned out pretty well.

13 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

The cupcake is adorable! The ladders don't show up that much in the picture. If they are on the icing part, it's probably because of the purl stitches. I find it harder to keep it tight between needles when purling. Pay careful attention to the the first and second stitch when moving to the next needle. The second stitch anchors the first, so if you loosen up on that one, the first one might slip.

Needle choice is just a matter of preference. You may have to try several types before you find the ones you like best. I prefer bamboo or wood.

Renna said...

I think your cupcake is delightful. Wool Winder also has me wanting to bake a batch...I mean knit a batch of cupcakes. ;-)

I don't have much experience with different types of needles. I have some double pointed ones I made from dowel rods I bought at Home Depot, which I like really well. I also like using metal ones. I know alot of people say they don't, but they work quite well for me.

If I'm knitting with tiny needles, I've found I prefer metal over wood, as I'm always afraid the wood's going to snap.

Your purse is awesome. It's hard to believe you're a newish knitter!

Jennifer said...

I love the cupcakes! Yours and wool winder's. I am a metal DPN girl myself. I like bamboo for some but I mostly prefer metal.

Montreal Mama said...

That cupcake is super cute. I wanna now knit one and find a real one to eat!

Sally said...

LoveLoveLove that cupcake. I don't really see any ladders. So it works fine for me.

Mim said...

My experience has been that bamboo needles and cotton yarn don't match. It just feels like I'm fighting with them the whole time. Cute cupcake and purse.

Lisa Boyer said...

Adorable! Scrumptious! No calories!!! I think it's funny that you're knitting things you can't eat now....ha! Good for you.

I got rid of my ladders by really tugging the first and second stitches on each dpn. I've never tried cotton on bamboo...but it seems like those other needles you mentioned would even be "slipperier" than bamboo! But I'm a knitting newbie, so I can't say. I also made the switch to magic loop for everything I can instead of dpns and I like it a whole lot better. No ladders at all.

Anonymous said...

I love the cupcake it is adorable.
As far as the ladders go I find that if I keep the stitches at the ends of each needle really tight I don't get ladders but if I don't I get huge ones. I love the Knit Picks Harmony DPNs but it is really a matter of preference so I would try out a couple differant types and see what you like.

NH Knitting Mama said...

Both of your projects are cute! My favorite dpns are the good ole cheapie bamboo ones you get at AC Moore - Takumi, I think.

Hope you're having a good week!

Debbie said...

Love your purse! It's going to be great for the summer!

Grace said...

love the cupcake I too am a Takumi fan but may buy the Harmony ones at some point cause they are so pretty!!!!

susan said...

that cupcake is great!!! louis black says in a commercial for his new comedy show...he has figured out that the $600 rebate we are all supposed to get amounts to one cupcake a day for a year...guess he never saw your cupcake! althou i wouldnt mind having one of your everyday for a year...think of the possibities

Jenny Girl said...

I get ladders too sometimes, and I pull the yarn tight at the corners. I don't know why, but I just chalk it up as being a Jenny Girl originial. It's something that you made and you can still enjoy it. Nobody is perfect.

Your purse came out really cute. I love the color.