Monday, November 10, 2008

Roasted Potimarron Soup




I have a rare vegetable that grew in my garden this year. It's called a Potimarron pumpkin. It's also know as a Hokkaido squash and Kuri pumpkin. The color is an intense orange that is almost red. I couldn't find a lot of information on the potimarron. That is information in English. It seems as though this pumpkin is popular in french cooking. The potimarron is known for it's sweet and savory taste with a touch of chestnut. Sounds good right?!





I did some searching on line to find a good recipe. I found this blog with a nice post about the potimarron. I cut the pumpkin in half and roasted it in the oven cut side down for 1 hour at 375 degrees. After the pumpkin has cooled scoop out the flesh. Saute a chopped onion in pan with olive oil. Add your pumpkin flesh to the onion with 3 cups of milk. Also make sure to add salt to taste. I always use Kosher salt. I love the way it tastes. Cook until it boils very gently. If you have a hand blender put it to use and blend your soup right in your pan. I don't have a hand blender so I used my regular blender. The recipe calls for creme fraiche. I didn't have any so I used a very small amount of sour cream. The soup is very thick and creamy.





The pumpkin has quite a few seeds. I carefully went through the seeds to save them for next year.





I simply placed the seeds on a paper towel to dry. Don't you love planning for the future?! If you are interested in growing this unique pumpkin please let me know. I always love to share.




If you decide to make this soup don't leave out the sage browned butter. The sage browned butter added another layer of flavor to the soup. It was very simple to make. In a small pan melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add a few fresh sage leaves. Cook the butter until it starts to foam and then brown. It's so good!




The soup is fantastic! It was a huge hit at my house. I'm sure you could make the same recipe with any pumpkin or squash. This is the perfect soup for a cold fall evening.

12 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

The soup looks delicious!

WhiteStone said...

Cool! I plan to try this soup, using 'ordinary' squash. Sounds sooooo yummy! I'm always amazed at your garden...mine is so lacking!!!

Sally said...

Oh, YUM! Mr. Wonderful might like a couple of those seeds...he loves growing things now that we live in the country and not in the city anymore....Thanks so much for the recipe...roasting squash in the oven with cut side down is how he does acorn squash, too. Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm!

Jennifer said...

Yum!I made some spicy pumpkin soup 2 weeks ago and ate it at almost every meal until it was gone. I never tired of it and it was just as good day after day.

Mim said...

That looks Delic! I may have to try planting that next year just to have the soup. LOL

Liz said...

It sounds so good! I hope your lettuces fared the cold well!

Debra said...

Yum!
You've inspired me to try squash again next year. None grew this year. I think I had them in a too shady spot.
~Debra

Joyfulsister said...

Wow that looks soo good. Is it a sweet pumpkin? I need to try it. How are you doing my sistah, I've missed you, just thought I'd drop by and say hello
*smile*. not much happening with me just not feeling up to par lately.
Thanks for sharing this reciepe.

Hugz Lorie

Debbie said...

MMM, I've never tried anything like that...it looks tasty and warm and comforting...just perfect for this time of year.

magnoliasntea said...

The pumpkin soup sounds delicious! I enjoyed this post as I've never heard of that particular pumpkin. Intriguing. I'm thinkin' I might like to grow a few of them next year if you still have some seeds left. Hmm, maybe I could trade you a bar of handmade soap for the seeds. :)

Renna said...

I am a big soup fan in the winter. I could eat it just about every day, all kinds. I don't have access to that pumpkin, but I might try the same soup with a butternut squash. My mouth's watering now! :-)

I love the picture with your little felt pumpkins in the background. :-)

Jenny Girl said...

Delicious! This soup is making me warm by just looking at it.