Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday's Flower Linden



Today's flower is from our Linden tree. It is also commonly called a Basswood tree. The specific name is Tilia Americana. The flowers are used for herbal tea, and this infusion is particularly popular in Europe. I have not attempted to make tea from the flowers.







Our proud tree is covered with tiny flowers. With all of the rain this season the blossoms are producing in record number. The tiny bells smell a little like fabric softener. The smell is intoxicating.




The timber and has very little grain, so it is a popular wood for model building and intricate carving. Also the acoustic properties make it popular for electric guitar and bass bodies and wind instruments like recorders. It is also the wood of choice for the window blinds and shutters industries. Real wood blinds are often made from this lightweight but strong wood which is well suited to natural and stained finishes.
I encourage you to take some time today and gander at all the different flowers in bloom. Take a deep breath and discover God's awesome creation.
Have a marvelous weekend!

6 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

That's a tree that doesn't grow around here. I enjoyed your pictures. The blossoms are so delicate and beautiful! God is good.

Jennifer said...

Interesting. I wonder if I can find that tree here in Leavenworth.

Renna said...

I've heard of basswood my entire life, but the extent of my knowledge of it was that it was used for carving.

Thank you! I love trees, and I love learning about them. :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I have ever seen a Linden tree that large. Beautiful, thanks for all the education information. Hope everything is growing great on the farm.

Sally said...

I've never seen a linden tree...what a beauty! And the blooms are lovely. Thanks for sharing...I love your blog!

DebbieKnitter said...

I think this is also my first time of ever seeing that large of a Linden tree. It really is spectacular. Thanks for sharing some of God's wonderful creations. Thanks for commenting on my blog. It made me smile to hear from a missed friend :) I may have been dormant, but I always stopped by your blog for a smile and a bit of sunshine! I think Twinnings is actually a teeny easier then Gust by the way. I have faith in you, you'll shoot through this with no problem.