Thursday, July 17, 2008

Watermelon Salsa



I have a very interesting and different recipe to share with you today. I am always looking for something unique to make for dinner. I feel like I make the same 7 dishes over and over. My stand by menu is good. I like to spice things up if I can. Sometimes I'll try something different that is a total disaster (a very athletic rabbit stew) and I'll have to serve ice cream for dinner instead! Other times it's a huge hit. I could tell you stories of some of my dinner tragedies. One thing that is not in my menu is fish. I can't stand the taste of fish. Ever since I was a little girl I have hated it. I spent many evenings sitting at the dining room table all alone with a plate of fish in front of me. I just don't like it. Growing up with a Swedish-Norwegian back round I had to endure a Christmas Eve dinner filled with the 9 courses of fish and other unique things like Silta. That's a head cheese. Yuk! Anyway, the only fish I can eat is Tuna. I do enjoy tuna steaks on the grill. Now I add this salsa to the side of the steak. It's very good.

Watermelon Salsa

4 cups watermelon, seedless, chopped into small cubes
1/2 cup scallions sliced green and white parts
1/2 large yellow pepper diced
1/2 seeded cucumber diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced(be careful with the seeds use gloves or plastic on your hands)
handful of cilantro chopped fine
1 tsp sugar
1Tbsp olive oil
1 fresh lime juiced or 2Tbsp balsamic vinegar for a deeper flavor

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Serve at room temp. or chill it. It is great with fish, chicken, pork and beef. It's even great to munch on alone right out of the bowl.



It tastes so summery fresh and is very colorful. To make the Tuna steak marinade the steak in 3 Tbsp. of olive oil for 1 hour. Lightly salt the fish if you like. Get your grill nice and hot. For 3/4" steak grill for 1.5 minutes per side. For a 1" thick steak cook steak for 2 minutes per side. That's it! I also made some fresh zucchini from the garden. I sliced off the ends and cut the zucchini lengh wise. On the cut side I drizzled olive oil and sprinkled some fresh herbs and a touch of salt. Throw your veggie on the grill cut side down.




This is a fast meal that won't heat up the kitchen. Your family and friends will think you are a rock star after they feast on this! BTW I purchased the tuna steaks from Trader Joe's. I always stock up when I go. Trader Joe's charged about $5.50 for 2 nice size steaks. The tuna is wild caught. It's not farm raised.
I hope you give it a try. Let me know who it turned out. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.
Have a great day. Tommorrow knitting!

11 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

I've never had watermelon salsa before. Sounds refreshing and delicious.

Jennifer said...

Ack! I was right yesterday in the comments. Now that deserves some kind of prize. :) I hear that watermeon salsa is really good. We will be giving it a try when our watermelon is ready to harvest. Your dinner looked amazing.

Sally said...

No wonder you and I get along so well...I can't stand fish either. I'll eat tuna sandwiches but not even grilled tuna steaks....The watermelon salsa looks great...must give it a try. And the grilled zucchini...yum!

Renna said...

I am positively salivating!

cosmicsnail said...

That look delicious, will have to give it a go, I never know what to do with tuna steaks but love them.

DebbieKnitter said...

Oh yum,yum,yum!! I MUST make this salsa tomorrow. I will let you know how the crew likes it. My kiddies LOVE any veggies and fruits....I know, I know, odd, but they grew up eating healthy foods so to them, it's no biggie. They actually hate those fast food places which is good cuz they can't eat there anyways LOL. I love your blog, it always makes me smile.

Debbie said...

Looks delicious. I'm hungry :-)

Jennifer said...

Mmmmm - that looks great. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmm! I love fish so I am always looking for something to go with it. DH grill a "mean" Salmon.

Your salsa sounds wonderful, we will give it a try!

knitspot anne said...

that sounds yummy!

Jenny Girl said...

This looks delicious! I have often wandered past the tuna steaks at TJ's and have thought of trying them. Now I have a reason to!